Well I have let a couple of days go by without blogging. Reason being, nothing that exciting was really happening in my life and I couldn't be boring my faithful followers. But big news...I have officially fallen in love...
...with dulce de leche [editors note: have just spent 3 minutes finding the correct spelling using Google as I can't be misspelling my fav dessert]. The yummy caramel that is in many Argentinian desserts really appeals to my sweet tooth. They are often found in alfajores (pronounced Alpha-whores) which is two cookies with a caramel centre (see photo - i stole from internet but I will take some live action shots soon). On Monday I had the ultimate: an alfajore helado (with ice cream) from my favourite coffee shop on the corner. I dropped by my neighbourhood hangout as my internet was down and thought to steal the wi fi to do some work from the coffee shop... [editors note: some of my co-workers are reading my blog and I thought I put some evidence about me working]... But anyhow, the waiter suggested I try one and mmmmm.. I'm hooked. I will be taking a picture of it for future blogs. However, they have run out of them (checked today). Luckily I'm VIP gringo status there and they have assured me they would be ordering some more for me asap.
My Spanish is improving bit by bit thanks to Jose Luis, my Spanish teacher (see photo of us during our lesson). He comes for 2 hours a day and we have been lately practicing shopping dialogues and also ordering food at restaurants (very appropriate given my activities here to date. Speaking of which, I just got back from buying a couple of great t-shirts from this cool boutiquey store next store (pictures next time I bring my camera out).
I am currently finishing up level 1. Ariel as you see is much more ahead of me (Level 6, that keener!), however JL assures me that my Level 1 really equals 3 levels of Paula's level 1.

Last night we decided to go for tango lessons. Unfortunately for me the lessons were totally in Spanish and the teachers were NOT patient. It was very difficult for me to pick up the steps... or take any critique that they were giving me. I could tell that my dance partner was potentially annoyed with me pushing her around all the time but she also couldn't communicate with me either. Although I am picking up the Spanish, people speak so fast. My fav line is "Mas despaciio por favor". I can usually understand most things when they slow down. I would have taken more pictures in the tango place but they said no photos allowed. How snooty!!!

Ariel has just finished a big exam so he's feeling great. He likes to relax by watching some classic cartoons in Spanish. I caught him watching He Man today.
I am really looking forward to our upcoming trip to Peru and Uruguay. I have been looking into some B&Bs and some great hotels for our stay (I am not backpacking material). We are leaving Oct 4th for Uruguay (2 days), then back to BA to leave for Cusco on the 6th.
Also I think I am going to try and get a cool Argentinian haircut soon. There are hair dressers everywhere and they are pretty cheap. A lot of the guys have long hair here.
Hasta Luego,
Miguel

1 comment:
Thank God for your blog! It's 2am and I'm at work and have been giggling reading this. I especially like the head massager blog. A whole blog dedicated to that head massager.
Keep em coming.
Love and miss you!
Love to Ariel!
xo
Krista Black
Post a Comment