Well it's officially the weekend and that means sleeping in until 11:30 or noon! Last (Friday) night Ariel and I decided to go out for some parilla (meat) in BA. There are tons of great restos in the area and of course I want to try them all. Argentians eat ALL parts of the cow here (some could make me a vegetarian). Here's a photo of us from dining out last night. Of course Ariel is making himself super comfy in his BARE FEET... The meat is so tender in BA and also the chorizo is so good (we love sausages... please get your mind out of the gutter). We were probably a little drunk at this time as we had a large sangria with the meal (see photo as well). I also really enjoy the agua con gas. For dessert, molten chocolate cake - LOVE IT. My friend Sue always takes photos of the food she eats and I may start doing this too.
The alternative to eating out (which I've already mentioned is extremely cheap - nice meal with wine and dessert was $50 CDN equiv. ) is going shopping at the supermarket and making food. The supermarket is a DISASTER ZONE 24/7. I am thinking of doing a big consulting gig here to improve the efficiencies of the supermarcados. Here's a photo of the supermarket today. Note it is this busy at the check out lines at all times of the day. There are carts of deliveries blocking the doors and no one has change. The lines are long and everyone is paying their bills.Now those of you who know me know that I'm absolutely not patient so I'm having trouble adjusting to this. I stand in one line, it takes forever, then I switch lines and of course the line I'm in starts moving again. Arrgh! Oh well, more eating out I guess! Yesterday during my Spanish class, Jose Luis and I came to this supermarket to review the words for food in Spanish with our notebooks. We were almost kicked out as they thought we were up to something with our clipboards and notetaking. I am slowly improving my Spanish.
We started off the day dropping by my favourite coffee shop. It's right around the corner and serves both coffee and ice cream. I go daily and sometimes have my Spanish classes here. Coffee is not that cheap in BA. This is my favourite server and I wanted to get a photo of me with him. I think I really could work here one day if money is tight so wanted to demonstrate my serving abilities...He doesn't appear to appreciate my skills and preferred just to pose for the camera.Today for lunch we went to Las Violetas, recommended on Chowhound. I took some photos in the restaurant. It had a really cool feel to it so we took some in black/white and in sepia (does the word sepia sound dirty to you or is it just me?)... I really like this picture of Ariel.

Of course I do all the touristy things like posing on the stairs to draw attention to myself...


Today was shopping day downtown and of course I had to take my photo with the obelisk. Not sure what it symbolizes but it's tall and gigantic so had to pose with it. How cool am I in my new hoodie (please comment)...
We shopped a bit on Florida street downtown, and bought some clothing. On the way, had to stop for helado (ice cream)-- ice cream is amazing here -- will do a full expose on the ice cream one posting for your viewing pleasure...
While shopping, of course I had to keep my eye on the salesperson who ---GASP --really loved my shoes and wanted them for himself (see photo)... I told you they are very popular!!!<-- Nice try but I didn't let him keep them
Tonight, off to a birthday party and then hopefully out dancing if we can stay up late enough!
Miguel

No comments:
Post a Comment