Monday, December 22, 2008

Hot Ape on the Bus

We're baaaaaaaack.... in Buenos Aires, that is... We have just come back after spending a week long mini-vacation in Bariloche, which was beautiful and worthy of a least one future blog (stay tuned for hot pictures of me in a wet-suit). I am significantly behind on my blogging so I must catch you up with what we did last weekend before we left for Bariloche.

However, great news in terms of my blog and future career as a writer (I'm looking for job offers)... today I went to visit Senora Sandwich and her sandwich-making assistant (see prior blog) told me she had been recently visiting my blog. I am thrilled that I have some local fans now!

Last Sundy we accompanied Ariel's parents to the Feria de Mataderos, a local festival in the Mataderos suburb of BA. The festival, unlike San Telmo's antique market, is geared more for locals. It took us about 1 hour to get there by bus, but when we arrived, we saw the locals in action, dancing away to some folk music dressed in traditional "gaucho" clothing. They say it's a festival for families but look at this gaucho about to spank his dance partner's bum.


Speaking of gauchos (latino cowboys), later on we were treated to a gaucho show at the Feria. It was very impressive as you can see from the picture on the right with the underage gaucho riding a horse and trying to put a peg in a very small ring (you really had to be there).

Here is a picture of the head gaucho man putting up the "ring hole" so you can see how it works. The galloping gaucho races towards the ring and tries to put the peg in while the horse was galloping.

Overall the Feria was a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon. There was yummy food (empanadas and some choripan) and a mini market where I bought some dulce de leche.


A great suprise this past week was a visit from Jenn, Tobias, and baby Lauren. Tobias' dad lives in BA and they were visiting him over the holidays so we were able to see each other. I used to work with Tobias and Jenn and it was great to reconnect and introduce them to my favourite past time, eating pizza, beer and ice cream (did I mention my tiny pot belly which is growing and I have named Juan since it started in Argentina)!

After the visit, Ariel and I boarded the 20-hour bus to Bariloche. Bariloche is a city in the south of Argentina close to the border with Chile. It is known for its outdoor scenery, chocolates (YUM!) and charm. After this trip, I may win the award for Mr. Urban turned Mr. Outdoors!

Normally, the bus ride is slightly boring (other than the movies, but I am getting a little sick of watching Made of Honor). Interestingly this time, we were treated to some entertainment. The guy in the seat across from us, who looked a bit ape-ish, decided to do some sun tanning or maybe put on a show, so we decided to snap a picture of him (see photo above). We were giggling as we took it as we were trying the get the best angle. I'm not sure he realized its a bit difficult to get a tan through a window, but we didn't want to disturb his heavenly bliss. Plus the view wasn't bad!

Before we knew it the bus ride had finished and we had arrived in Bariloche, which reminded us of a Swiss-village mixed with some Western Canada scenery (and cooler Canadian-like weather). We knew we were going to have a great time there. Here is a photo of us in the main square with the typical lodge-type building in the background.

There's so much to write about Bariloche that I will save it for a separate blog.

Until then. Besos,
Miguel

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Laughing and smiling over here after reading your last 3 blogs in cold and snowy Toronto...

Can't wait to see you soon and enjoy the remainder of your trip.

Happy Chanukah!!!
xoxoxox
Marnie