Thursday, December 25, 2008

Feliz Navidad... and some endings

Hello all,

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!! I have decided to skip the Bariloche story for now and first write about our last couple of days here in Buenos Aires. It's Christmas morning and there are no stockings or trees here but instead suitcases beside me which we've been packing. We are leaving Buenos Aires today for the last part of our trip (to Iguazu Falls and then Rio - Ariel's parents are in Iguazu now) and it's a very emotional time. I've been thinking back on the last 4 months here in Buenos Aires and all the memories we had here. It's really been wonderful and I'm so glad we were able to have this experience.

I think it really started to hit home that we were leaving when Carla, the woman who works downstairs and reads the magazines, rang our doorbell with a gift for us (see last photo of us together - note that I am eating ice cream again). It was super sweet of her to do this-- she got us a tile that says Buenos Aires Tango as well as a couple of mugs. She told us that no one ever talks to her and we talked to her so much. Little does she know that I love talking to the people in my neighbourhood. She then got a little teary-eyed and left. After this,it really started to sink in that we were going. Yesterday we also said goodbye to Luis (Senor Laundry). He told us that he was glad that he met us and hopes to see us one day again.

Yesterday was also my final spanish class with Jose-Luis. I decided to buy him a Christmas present to thank him for all his help. I was looking for the perfect t-shirt that wasn't plain black or white. Finally I found it-- they were selling a shirt identical to one I had so I bought it. Now, as you can see from the photo, Jose-Luis and I have matching skater t-shirts!! (because I am such a skateboarder dude of course)... Jose Luis, if you are reading this I am going to keep up my Spanish I promise!!!

Unfortunately I didn't get to say goodbye to Senora Sandwich so if she's reading this (or her assistant) I'm sorry and Feliz Navidad... Besos. One other person I didn't get to say goodbye to yet is hot Andy the landlord. I hope he drops by today but I have a feeling we are not his top priority at Christmas. If he does drop by I certainly will take photos and post them of hot Andy.

Of course every day this past week I've been having ice cream and empanadas. They really have formed a staple diet. Luckily, the ice cream shop across the street is open today and we are going to go for a final photo shoot with our friends there. Man, am I going to miss Buenos Aires ice cream!!!

Last night we went to a Christmas party for foreigners hosted by a friend of a friend (yes we crashed it). There is a Christmas tradition in BA to have fireworks on Christmas eve. As you can see from the video, they opted for the cheap fireworks which almost killed us a couple of times. See video of me filming fireworks until I got sprayed and burnt by one... It was a nice evening with a great turkey dinner. Ariel made guacamole mmmm...



After dinner I was really tired and sleepy but still went to Amerika with some of the guys (see right for super cool posing with our drinks). Amerika is the only club I haven't been to yet so I was happy to get to go finally. We didn't stay long as we were wiped out....


On the 23rd we went out for our last BA steak dinner, to Don Julio. Wow they have amazing meat. We had our usual lomo and entrana with a malbec. Delicious (see photo for us chowing down)! Man I don't know what it is about the meat here but I will need to come back one day to taste it again!

One new thing we were able to do this past week was check out this drum circle which happens every Monday night in Buenos Aires. It was a great experience with lots of energy as you can see from the photo (ok so the picture doesn't look like there is a lot going on but it was really rowdy I swear)...

They also had very large beer for sale here (15 pesos for a litre - that is the only size you can buy - YUM!). You can see someone here new in the photo, Mr. Short Shorts. Someone should tell him never to wear those pants. But interestingly enough... we have seen him before!!... and he was wearing the same short shorts at that time (see other photo)....
Mr. Short Shorts is just another one of the great BA celebrities that make the city so special...

Well over the last 4 months I think I have officially fallen in love with BA. It wasn't any one thing in particular or any one person or one event... it was a combination of many things, ups and downs, and new experiences...

Most of all I say... MUCHAS GRACIAS BUENOS AIRES!!! We will be back!!!

Our bus tonight leaves at 7pm for Iguazu where we will spend 2 nights before heading to Rio de Janeiro for New Years! I can't wait for the BEACH!!!

Love Miguel!!!

No comments: