Saturday, October 11, 2008

Peru Trip: Machu Picchu

Day 4: Machu Picchu

Have I mentioned that Machu Picchu is very difficult to spell... I have gone back and spelled it consistently in the last blog...

Anyhow, when we left off in yesterday, I was freaking out about the possibility of climbing Wayna Picchu. Looking up at that large mountain in line, I thought about backing out... luckily, I met a friend in line who convinced me I could do it: a 74 year old woman from Spain. I took a photo of my new friend as she was very inspiring.

So... the climb up the mountain was a bit strenuous and steep, especially at 2500+ metres above sea level, and at times mildly frightening but I persisted. Some of the interesting elements of the climb included:


Squeezing through tight areas (thank goodness I'm slim)...








Huffing and puffing up the stairs (and not looking down)...











Posing (when I got more confident)....








Finally, we made it to the top... the view from the top was extremely rewarding. Notice in this picture I am smiling but also holding on to Ariel for dear life... I am so glad that Ariel convinced me to conquer my fears and do this. It was amazing to be so high in the sky.

I actually had heard that the way down was scary due to the steep steps but I found it not bad at all. As we passed people coming down, I told them "If I can do it, you can do it!". Finally, down at the ruins, we got in an organized tour for the tour of Machu Picchu. The entire site was incredible as it was built by Incans so high in the mountains. I am going to show a few pictures but it was really overwhelming and amazing to be there.






Thank you Machu Picchu. We had an amazing time there. It really is worth it!!!





Near the end of our tour, we ran into some school girls who found us a bit caliente. They wanted to pose with us for a photo so we obliged and took this hot shot.


Also, important note. There were a lot of mosquitos at Machu Picchu. Ariel regretted wearing the shorts the next day as he has mosquito bites all over.

Well we had a great time at Machu Picchu. Here are a few more photos:







Naturally, after a long day hiking and exploring the wonders of Machu Picchu, we welcomed the train ride back to Cusco. The train ride included some food, coca tea, and even a fashion show by the train staff!!

We had a nice dinner that night in Cusco at this great restaurant called Fallen Angels. Definitely recommended for the great food, environment (is somewhat of an art gallery) and overall very trendy (i.e. hot waiters).

The last couple of days we have been in Puno visiting Lake Titicaca. Despite the name, it is an amazing serene and beautiful lake, floating islands, and cute local children. I'll save this for the next blog, as well as our next destination: Arequipa and the Colca Canyon. Can't WAIT!!

Hugs,

Miguelito.

No comments: