Thursday, November 6, 2008

Whirlwind wedding weekend...

Hola Amigos,

Have you missed me? (Better question: Is anyone still reading this blog?)... I know, I have not been as faithful as a blogger lately. However, I really do have two good excuses. First off, last week we were entertaining Ariel's brother, Michael, who was visiting. Second, this weekend we flew/drove to Detroit to attend my sister, Hayley's, wedding. Hayley is my oldest youngest sister (does that even make sense?).

We left BA last Thursday around 7pm and boarded our plane to Washington. The flight is around 11 hours to Washington and we would connect in Washington to Toronto, and arrive in Toronto at 9am on Friday. It was necessary for us to fly to Toronto as it wasn't possible to use my points to get to Detroit. I figured that it would be fine as we have our car in Toronto and we could drive it from Toronto to Detroit (typically a 4 hour drive). However, a couple of things happened that messed up our plans. First of all, our connecting flight was late into Washington and despite racing to the gate (similar to the Amazing Race style) we were denied entry on to the plane. As a result, we ended up waiting in the United Lounge for 5 hours. As you can see by this photo, I was not happy in the least - and LOOK at that grey hair. Adding to this, when I went to the washroom there was a 'surprise' piece of poo on the floor waiting for me there. It is always a mystery how people can miss the toilet when they are doing the "#2"...

Finally, we boarded our flight to TO (5 hours late) and landed around 2pm. Next stop, to Andrew's house to get our car. I called Andrew to let him know I was on my way and he told me that he needed to tell me something about my car. This troubled me a little but I was still feeling optimistic. When we arrived, Andrew came out and told us that the car wouldn't start. He actually had been trying to boost it (he know about cars he told us, as he's Italian). So Ariel and I eventually went down to the car and tried to boost it. Unfortunately it didn't start. Andrew told us he had been taking the car out every so often, but I guess it wasn't enough. In the picture, Ariel and I are strangling Andrew as we are frustrated. Andrew appears to be enjoying the attention.

The good news about this scenario: I learned a bit more about boosting a car (but I'm too scared to do it myself). The bad news: car didn't start, so we rented a car from this friendly Hertz company. They were very accomodating of the last minute rental, which was much appreciated. So eventually, we were on our way (through Toronto rush hour) driving to Detroit.

When we finally got there (after 28 hours of commuting), we were in the midst of a jam-packed weekend full of dinners, speeches (there are 4 sets of parents so a lot of speeches), and lots of food. Here is a picture of my 3 siblings (including bride, Hayley) and new brother-in-law, Jeremy. Welcome to the family Jeremy!! Unfortunately I missed the bachelor party at Hooters which I am deeply depressed about.

There are a ton more pictures which we hope to get soon. In fact, there were 4 sets of photos taken and I think we may have given the photographer an ulcer. Eventually he loosened up after he realized that there are many rules about who needs to be in which picture.

After the ceremony, the party and drinking began. A highlight of the wedding was definitely the band, who came on to the dancefloor and danced with the guests. Here is a photo of Ariel and I busting moves with my cousins Sara and Kate. People loved our funky moves, especially when Please Don't Stop the Music was playing. My sister Lindsay danced so much that she actually broke her foot! Yes, there is always an injury at a Silverberg wedding.

A great part of the wedding was being able to see my parents and entire family. Here is a photo of my mom and dad which I may sell on eBay. They haven't gotten along this well in over 20 years (they are both happily remarried) so this was a really great occasion!!! People generally say I look a lot like my dad so I know what my future holds for me....

Stealing the show of course was Caleb Silverberg, cutest ring bearer.
People have been asking if Ariel and I will ever tie the knot. Of course anything is possible and I would never reveal these things on a blog. Ariel and I danced together at the wedding which was very nice (and may have surprised a few of the guests). It was great that he was there to celebrate with. All in all, the wedding was a great time which goes to show that there is definitely stuff in Toronto worth flying back for. We also saw some friends on Monday night who came out to see us. It was a work night and we really appreciate those who came to get a piece of Mike & Ariel while we were in town.

Coming back to BA, it is balmy (30 degrees celcius) and we have a lot in store for the next 2 months, including a visit from Natalia, travels to the north of Argentina and wine country, and this weekend, a crazy electronic music festival Creamfields (God knows where they come up with these names). Definitely will be taking my camera to take pictures of these CrAzY latino party kids!!!

Hasta luego,
Miguelito

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sosad I missed you guys. Looks like you had a great but crazy visit back.
Your loyal blog reader,
Krista (Elie sends his love too- he also loves your blog)

qirzah said...

I'm sure the Hooters stag party was a definite displeasure to miss.

DUDE! Let's get painting . . . the town red.

This weekend. VAMOS!

I just say it, but not sure it'll happen.